Finance business partnering at Allied Irish Bank
- AIB is returning to growth as the economy recovers, following a period of regularly reducing costs after the recession
- In Finance AIB has recently created a finance business partnering team to add more value to the business, in addition to its focus on costs and controls
- But what’s the best way for this team to add more value, particularly when the business teams have seen Finance as cost cutters, not as strategic business partners?
Step 1Re-set and shape Finance business partnering
Step 2Tailored Finance business partnering training programme
What we did
- Started with a selection of business leaders to identify the most valuable decisions where Finance should play a more value-adding role
- Re-designed the business-facing roles in Finance and engaged with the leadership team
- Developed a highly tailored finance partnering training course based on the AIB business
- Delivered a business partner training journey for 40 people over several months
Arcus made it so clear what each role should be that it forced everyone to be honest with themselves about their own skills gaps.
The training has been highly practical, hugely relevant to AIB, and not at all theoretical.